How to Get a K-1 Fiancée Visa

  • POSTED: July 17, 2012
  • POSTED BY: LawrenceGruner

Free Reports to read BEFORE you decide to file an Immigration case or to hire an Immigration Attorney.
These reports will save you time and money.
Read These Reports to Learn:
How you can always represent yourself in an Immigration Case
That not all Immigration Attorneys are the same
The questions you should always ask your Immigration Attorney before you hire him
How Immigration cases can be needlessly delayed or denied and what you can do to avoid that fate.
How not to rely on advice given by friends, family, and surprisingly Immigration information officers
How every document you file with USCIS can affect you and your family for years.
Little known secrets of fiancé visa and green card interviews from an attorney with 20 years of experience

Our office has 20 years of experience handling fiancee visas. We will bring your fiancee into the U.S. quickly, without delays, and with a money back guarantee<

How do I  get a K-1 fiancée visa?

The K-1 fiancée visa is necessary for anyone that is currently the fiancé of a US citizen that wants to live permanently in the US. The K-1 processing time is relatively short (please read our blog post entitled:”How long is the K1 fiance visa process taking?“) and the turnaround time is efficient compared to other visa processes. The K-1 fiancée visa has a high approval rating and most individuals that apply for the visa get approved and obtain it.  However, this is not always the case and simple mistakes can really cause serious delays in the K1 fiance visa process. If you are interested in obtaining a K-1 fiancée visa, there are two main steps that you must follow.

 File a Petition

The filing of the petition is done by the US sponsor, who is the US citizen. The required form is the Form I-129F, named the petition for alien fiancee. The form needs to be submitted to the appropriate USCIS local office. When the USCIS approves the petition, it will then be submitted to the National Visa Center (NVC) and they will then submit it to the US Embassy or Consulate. After the US Embassy or Consulate receives the petition, the applicant (foreign fiancee) will be able to file for a K-1 non-immigrant visa.

Apply for the Visa

The application process for a K-1 visa includes the required documentation, a medical examination and vaccination requirements, along with the proof of support and affidavit of support form. The required documentation varies by consulate.  The documents necessary can be viewed on the applicable US Consulate website.  They may include a passport valid for US travel, divorce or death certificates for previous spouses for the applicant as well as the US citizen sponsor, police certificates from countries lived previously for over 6 months starting from the age of 16, two photographs, and the evidence of the relationship with the applicant’s current fiance (U.S. citizen).

The medical examination is for any applicant, no matter the age. The medical examination needs to be completed by a paneled physician and the applicant is encouraged to get the required vaccinations. Proof of financial support is necessary during the interview aspect of the process. The proof of support is shown to the officer as to prove that the applicant will not become a public charge in the US and that the applicant is able to support themselves or the US citizen is able to support the applicant. The affidavit of support prepared by the US Citizen and given at the consulate for a fiance visa is the Form I-134.  This form must be supported by appropriate tax and income and asset information.  The fiance also needs to demonstrate the validity of the relationship with pictures, e-mails and anything else that demonstrates the veracity of the relationship between the US citizen and their fiance.

The information provided on this site is not legal advice but general information only. Laws can and do change and additional laws may apply in your case. Contrary to what your friends tell you every immigration case is different. Please contact our office to review your matter prior to filing any documentation with USCIS

Lawrence Gruner is an Immigration Attorney with almost 20 years of experience handling immigration cases. He has office locations throughout northern California. His office handles immigration cases throughout California (including San Francisco, Oakland, San Jose, San Diego and Sacramento) the United States and the World. You may reach us from anywhere in the world toll free at 888-801-6558 . You may also email us your questions. Attorney Gruner would be happy to review your situation and all of your options. He can help you come up with a plan for your Immigration case. His office handles green card cases (both family based green cards and business based green cards K1 fiance visa cases (see our article 10 things to know about K1 visas), naturalization and citizenship cases, E1-E2 investor cases, H1b cases ( visit our blog: How to get an H1b visa)and marriage visa cases.

We handle cases throughout the state of California and the World. California cities include: Sacramento, Stockton, San Diego, San Jose, Oakland, San Francisco, Daly City, Fremont, Hayward, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Alameda, San Rafael, Santa Rosa, Richmond, Fairfield, Grass Valley, Nevada City,Vallejo, Berkeley, Concord, Walnut Creek, Orinda, South San Francisco, San Bruno,Daly City, Pacifica, Half Moon Bay, Millbrae, Brisbane, Burlingame, Hillsborough, Foster City, Belmont, San Carlos, Redwood City, Menlo Park, Palo Alto, Mountain View, Mt. View, Sunnyvale, Campbell, Cupertino, Los Altos, Los Gatos, Santa Cruz, Modesto, Fresno, San Luis Obispo, Morro Bay, Coronado, Los Angeles, Anaheim, Roseville, Rocklin,Auburn, Dixon, Davis.

Join Our Mailing List


For Email Marketing you can trust





    [recaptcha class:cct_recaptcha]





      [recaptcha class:cct_recaptcha]