What is a K-2 Visa?

  • POSTED: July 21, 2012
  • POSTED BY: LawrenceGruner

Free Reports to read BEFORE you decide to file an Immigration case or to hire an Immigration Attorney.
These reports will save you time and money.
Read These Reports to Learn:
How you can always represent yourself in an Immigration Case
That not all Immigration Attorneys are the same
The questions you should always ask your Immigration Attorney before you hire him
How Immigration cases can be needlessly delayed or denied and what you can do to avoid that fate.
How not to rely on advice given by friends, family, and surprisingly Immigration information officers
How every document you file with USCIS can affect you and your family for years.
Little known secrets of fiancé visa and green card interviews from an attorney with 20 years of experience

Q. I would like to come into the United States on a K-1 Fiance visa to marry my future husband. I want to bring my children with me. I have heard about a visa called a K-2 visa. What is a K-2 visa?

A K-2 visa is commonly called the “children’s visa” and it is specifically given to the child or children of a fiance applying for a K-1 visa ( please see our blog article:”How to get a K-1 Fiancee visa“). This particular visa is specified for a child, which means under the age of 21, unmarried, and seeking to immigrate to the US.

The K-2 visa must be used within 6 months from the date of issuance and the visa is only valid of up to 90 days after arriving in the United States. Upon entry to the United States the K-2 visa is only valid up to 90 days. In that 90 day period the fiance and US Citizen are required to marry. If no marriage occurs, the K-2 visa is not valid and the child must leave the US with their immigrant parent.

In order to get a K-2 visa, there are certain steps that must take place and certain documents that must be shown. For example, an official original or certified birth certificate needs to be presented. Also, the child may require permission to travel from the other parent of the child. Also, a complete medical examination report such as the one done by the parent must be done. These documents are necessary when obtaining a K-2 visa for a child, and there are little to no exceptions.

There is usually an interview that takes place before getting the K-2 visa and it is held at the American Consulate. It all depends on the consulate, but some consulates do not require the child to attend if under the age of 14 years. Check with your local consulate for more information.  Also, feel free to contact our office.  We would be happy to give you advice about your case.

The information provided on this site is not legal advice but general information only. Laws can and do change and additional laws may apply in your case. Contrary to what your friends tell you every immigration case is different. Please contact our office to review your matter prior to filing any documentation with USCIS

Lawrence Gruner is an Immigration Lawyer with almost 20 years of experience handling immigration cases. He has office locations throughout northern California. His office handles immigration cases throughout California (including San Francisco, Oakland, San Jose, San Diego and Sacramento) the United States and the World. You may reach us from anywhere in the world toll free at 888-801-6558 . You may also email us your questions. Attorney Gruner would be happy to review your situation and all of your options. He can help you come up with a plan for your Immigration case. His office handles green card cases (both family based green cards and business based green cards K1 fiance visa cases (see our article 10 things to know about K1 visas), naturalization and citizenship cases, E1-E2 investor cases, H1b cases ( visit our blog: How to get an H1b visa)and marriage visa cases.

We handle cases throughout the state of California and the World. California cities include: Sacramento, Stockton, San Diego, San Jose, Oakland, San Francisco, Daly City, Fremont, Hayward, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Alameda, San Rafael, Santa Rosa, Richmond, Fairfield, Grass Valley, Nevada City,Vallejo, Berkeley, Concord, Walnut Creek, Orinda, South San Francisco, San Bruno,Daly City, Pacifica, Half Moon Bay, Millbrae, Brisbane, Burlingame, Hillsborough, Foster City, Belmont, San Carlos, Redwood City, Menlo Park, Palo Alto, Mountain View, Mt. View, Sunnyvale, Campbell, Cupertino, Los Altos, Los Gatos, Yuba City, Santa Cruz, Modesto, Fresno, San Luis Obispo, Morro Bay, Coronado, Los Angeles, Anaheim, Roseville, Rocklin, Auburn, Dixon, Davis.

Join Our Mailing List


For Email Marketing you can trust




    [recaptcha class:cct_recaptcha]





      [recaptcha class:cct_recaptcha]